The Bees: A Novel

I've been reading a lot more the past 2 months than I have been the last 5 years. It's actually very reassuring since reading is my comfort activity besides cleaning on and off.
Out of the 13 books I've read in the past 2 months, this one is one of my favorites:
via google
The Bees sort of sounds like a scientific book on bees and their mannerisms.  But it's not.
We follow a young worker from the day she is born to her death. We learn about the hierarchy of different bees within her hive along with their duties. Of course, we are following a special bee because she is not like her fellow sisters. After a while, we can infer as to what will happen in the coming future with foreshadowing from spiders and evil wasps. At the end of the book, we are so attached to this enduring worker that when she dies it feels like everything was for nothing since we want her to see what she has created.
What I love about it is how the author brings you into the workings of a hive on a relatable level. The story almost sounded like it was talking about a mothership with the bees acting like nearby fighter ships. I also loved how the book created everything to the eye level of a bee. I think the world the author created was very real.
I would recommend it to anyone, except to those who do not appreciate somewhat graphic imagery of bees turning onto each other.

Cheers,
Claire

ps. I have trouble writing book and film descriptions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment